RedWood Zagreb Chess Pieces - 3.75" King
Zagreb Chess Pieces - Redwood/Boxwood - 3.7" King
One of my favorite sets (other than the Ultimates) and always is in my chess bag. It is a classic European Chess set. The King, Queen, and Bishop have opposite color finials. The true history of this set is somewhat muddled. Many state this is a Russian Style set while others will tell you it was based on a design used in the '59 Candidates Match that had games in the fine city. This Eastern European/Russian piece design looks like it came straight out or the Queen's Gambit miniseries.
No matter where it came from...this is an amazing chess set. Eastern European styling cues make this set distinctive from across the room. The nice thing about this set is the set is one of the sturdiest set of wood chess pieces on the market. It is made for the tournament scene from classic time controls to the destructive "Bullet" matches.
- Paduk (Dark) and Boxwood (Light)
- Weighs in at 2.425 lbs
- Complete set of 32 pieces (Single Queens)
- Distinctive Russian "Seahorse" Knight
- Opposite color tops for the King, Queen, and Bishop
- This Redwood (Paduk) set comes with a cleaning rag in the box. The pieces can come s little dusty and might need to be rubbed to bring out the true finish.