Isle of Lewis Antiquity Chess Set -23 Inch164121
The Isle of Lewis chessmen is a reproduction of the original collection of ancient Norse chess pieces that were discovered in 1831 on the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides in Scotland. They are one of the few surviving medieval chess sets in the world. This Isle of Lewis chess set is perfect for individuals who are interested in both the historical beginnings of modern day chess, as well as those looking for a distinctive and majestic chess set that will be an heirloom. The chess pieces are hand carved by master artisans of natural and stained buffalo bone. The Chess pieces are naturally weighted and have well-appointed felted base pads with a beautiful polished finish. This heirloom quality Chess set features a 3.5 inch King with a 1.75 inch diameter base that weighs .4 lbs. All the pieces are sculpted objects of ancient art and this collectors set is truly a show stopper. The chess set comes with a certificate of authenticity along with the historical information of the original pieces that were found off the coast of Scotland.
- Artisan Pieces Carved from Buffalo Bone
- Pieces based on ancient Norse chessmen discovered on the Isle of Lewis in Scotland.
- King measures 3.5 inches with 1.92 inch diameter
- Includes 32 Chess Pieces – King weighs .40 lbs, entire set of chess pieces weighs 4.8 lbs.
- Grand Solid Walnut and Maple Board with beveled edges and mitered corners. Measures 23 inches with 2.25 inch squares